Friday, February 03, 2006

Standardization Continued

One of the things that attracted me to herbalism way back in 1970 was the holistic approach it offered. Rather than focussing on symptoms or disease, what I read seemed to focus on the person not a diagnosis.

This way of looking at the whole person and the environment in which they lived seemed to me a superior way to improve health. I went from believing health was an absence of symptoms, to a much more dynamic, vital definition of health. To me , being healthy means not only not being sick, but having sufficient energy to enjoy every day; to sleep well, to greet every day as the gift it is, and to embrace the circumstances and people we encounter every day. I don't mean that you should run up and plant a big kiss on every one you meet, or that you see every day through rose colored glasses, but that you feel so good inside yourself that the positive feeling overflows and enhances your experiences.

I think using herbal remedies is one way to work toward this goal. If you use whole herbs, rather than the standardized herbs, the effect may be different every time you use the particular herb, depending on how different the sample may be; but I believe your body is more adapted to extracting what it needs from the whole herb.

I sometimes use standardized herbal products, they are more readily available locally, and more convenient to carry than raw herbs if I am traveling. If I am trying to make a major change, whether it is trying to ward off an illness, or help heal one already manifesting, I prefer using whole herbs, and preparing them based on a traditional recipe.

The material presented in this blog is for informational use only and should in no way be used as a substitute for needed medical treatment. I am not a doctor, I do not diagnose or treat disease. If you need medical care, please consult the appropriate medical professional. And please discuss with your doctor if you are taking or planning to take any herbal preparations

No comments: